I. Choose the word whose underlined part is different from the rest.
1. A. kill B. child C. rice D. kind
2. A. umbrella B. united C. until D. ugly
II. Choose the word whose main stress is pronounced differently from the rest.
3. A. derive B. provide C. depend D. modern
4. A. pressure B. suppose C. decide D. support
III. Choose the option that best completes each sentence below.
5. My doctor sent me to see a heart _____________last night.
A. specialize B. specialist C. special D. specialty
6. One of the __________ of the job is having a company car.
A. attractions B. attraction C. attractive D. attract
7. We get along very well together because we have so many ___________ interests.
A. suspicious B. loyal to C. mutual D. unselfish
8. For friendship to be close and lasting, both the _________ must have some very special qualities.
A. changes B. affairs C. friends D. interests
9. My friend is trying to persuade his parents ________ him go to the local school.
A. to let B. letting C. let D. to letting
10. I had a mechanic ________ my car last week.
A. to repair B. repair C. repaired D. repairing
11. This is the most ________ experience for him to talk about what had happened.
A. warming B. excited C. embarrassing D. modest
12. My children can't stand ________ in hot weather like this.
A. lived B. to living C. living D. live
IV. Read the passage and choose one correct answer for each question.
MANDI'S MAKING FRIENDS
My name's Mandi. Three months ago, I went to disco where I met a boy called Tom. I guessed he was older than me, but I liked him and thought it didn't matter. We danced a couple of times, then we chatted. He said he was 18, then asked how old I was. I told him I was 16. I thought that if I told him my real age, he wouldn't want to know me, as I'm only 13.
After the disco we arranged to meet the following weekend. The next Saturday we went for a burger and had a real laugh. Afterwards he walked me to my street and kissed me goodnight. Things went really well. We see each other a couple of times a week, but I've had to lie to my parents about where I'm going and who with. I've always got on with them, but I know if they found out how Tom was they'd stop me seeing him.
Now I really don't know what to do. I can't go on lying to my parents every time I go out, and Ton keeps asking he can't come around to my house. I'm really worried and I need some advice.
13. Who is she writing to?
A. a teenage magazine B. her boyfriend C. a school friend D. her parents
14. Why is Mandi worried?
A. Tom has been behaving strangely. B. She's not allowed to go to disco.
C. She's been telling lies. D. Her parents are angry with her.
15. Which of these answers did Mandi receive?
A. Tell me what you really feel.
B. Don't worry. I'm sure Tom will change his mind.
C. Everyone's unfair to you.
D. You must start by being honest with everyone.
16. Why has Mandi written this?
A. to explain a problem B. to defend her actions
C. to prove how clever she is D. to describe her boyfriend
17. Why can't Tom come to Mandi's house?
A. She doesn't want her parents to meet him. B. She doesn't want him to see where she lives.
C. He's nervous of meeting her parents. D. Her parents don't like him.
V. Gap -Filling
My father knew this, so on my birthday he gave me some money so that I could buy the hat for myself. I was extremely (18) _______ and decided to go to the shop at once. I got on the bus and sat down next to the schoolboy about my age. The boy glanced at me and (19) _______ away. There was a sneaky look on his face, but I didn't think much about it. I was busy imagining how I would look in the hat.
After a while, I turned round and noticed that the boy's schoolbag was open. Inside it, I saw a wad of dollars notes exactly (20) _______ the ones my father had given me. I quickly looked into my own bag - the notes had gone! I was sure (21) _______ the boy was a thief. He had stolen my money. I didn't want to make a fuss, so I decided just to take my money back from the schoolboy's bag, without saying a word about it. So I (22) _______ put my hand into the boy's bag, took the notes and put them in my own bag.
18. A. excited B. interested C. bored D. tired
19. A. took B. threw C. went D. turned
20. A. same B. like C. unlike D. seem
21. A. that B. whose C. who D. whom
22. A. care B. careful C. carefully D. carelessly
VI. Mistake correction
23. There are a lot of work to do here.
A B C D
24. While I did my homework, I had a good idea.
A B C D
25. John's friends had celebrated a farewell party for him last Sunday.
A B C D
B. PHẦN TỰ LUẬN.
I. Put the verbs in parentheses into the correct tense.
1. He (sit) on the bank fishing when he saw a mans hat floating down the river.
2. As the goalkeeper (run) forward to seize the ball, a bottle struck on the shoulder.
3. What (you / do) when I came to your office yesterday?
were you doing
4. When we went the airport yesterday, the plane (take) off.
5. What (you/ do) at 9 pm last night?
were you doing
6. I (have) no trouble with my English lessons up to now.
7. We (walk) to the station when it began to rain.
8. I (use) this car since I bought it five years ago.
9. So far we (learn) all tenses in English.
10. Ronald Regan (be) a Hollywood actor before he became a politician.
II. Rewrite these sentences using Passive Voice.
1. The students are not discussing the questions.
->The questions are not being discussed by the students.
2. Nobody has ever treated me with such kindness.
->I have not ever been treated with such kindness.
3. The organizers will exhibit the paintings till the end of the month.
->The paintings will be exhibited by the organizers till the end of the month.
4. The police asked each of us about his movement on the night of the crime.
->Each of us was asked about his movement by the police on the night of the crime.
5. They made him wait at the police station all day.
->He was made to wait at the police station all day.
III. Rewrite these sentences using If Cluase or unless.
1. Because I don't have enough free time, I can't help my mother with the housework.
->If I had enough free time, I could help my mother with the housework.
2. If the driver hadnt stopped quickly, the accident could have happened.
Unless the driver had stopped quickly, the accident could have happened.
3. I would lose the job if my work didnt improve.
->I would lose the job unless my work improved
4. We didnt go on holiday because we didnt have enough money.
If we had had enough money, we could / would have gone on holiday.
5. Joan will stay on at school unless she finds a good job before September.
Joan will stay on at school if she doesnt find a good job before September.
IV. Rewrite these sentences using Relative Clause.
1. The boys were given rooms in the hotel. Their house had been destroyed in an explosion.
->The boys whose house had been destroyed in an explosion were given rooms in the hotel.
2. He introduced me to his students. Most of them were from abroad.
-> He introduced me to the students most of whom were from abroad.
3. I am looking after some children. They are terribly spoilt.
-> I am looking after some children who/that are terribly spoilt.
4. His girlfriend turned out to be an enemy spy. He trusted her absolutely.
-> His girlfriend whom he trusted absolutely turned out to be an enemy spy.
5. The problem has been discussed in class. We are very interested in it.
-> The problem which / that we are very interested in has been discussed in class.