1. A. sneaky††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. scream††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. leave†††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. great
2. A. concerned††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. tired†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. interested†††††††††††††††††††† D. brightened†††††††
3. I'm sure I left _____ purse on the desk.
A. I†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. my†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. mine††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D.me
4. They are some English books on the table. They are _____
A. her††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. she†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. hers†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. herself††††††††††††††
5. The bus driver swerved to avoid _____ the cyclists.
A. hit†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. hitting†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C.to hit†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. to hitting
6. Kevin's mom lets him _____ in the garden on the weekends.
A. to play†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. play†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. playing††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. to playing
7. I expect _____ weight on when I give up smoking.
A. put††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. to put†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. putting††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. to putting †††††††
8. A(n) _____ who is a person one simply knows without having a deeper relationship.
††††††††††††††† A. friend†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. acquaintance †††††††††††††††††† C. relative †††††††††††††††††††††††† D. roommate
man _____at his watch to see what time it
A. stayed†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. turned††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. stared††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. glanced†††††††††††
10. They are soon tired of friendship and only feel the _____ of some new things.
A. attract†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. attraction†††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. attractive††††††††††††††††††††† D. attractively
11. I think one day he will have an accident. He always drives so _____.
A. carefully†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. careful†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. careless†††††††††††††††††††††††† D. carelessly†††††††
†††††††††††† There are many valuable things in life, but friendship may be one of the most important. Life without the experience of friendship is life without living. Human interaction is a necessity to survival, but friendship is an essential to the successful well- being of anyone.
†††††††††††† Friendship is a relationship which takes time to build. One can think building a frienship is like planting a garden. Firstly, one meets a person and plants the seed of friendship. Then the friendship builds and continues to grow stronger.† It requires devotion of time and patience to achieve a true friendship. Just like a garden that needs to be taken care of and watered daily to grow. However, a garden may some day become withered and die. Thus, one has to tend to it and has the patience to bring it back to life. Friendship also has its good and bad times. There comes a time when the relationship is just not working. To keep friendship lasting, one needs to have willingness and constancy to reestablish it.
†††††††††††† A person who builds a friendship like planting a garden can overcome the obstacles very easily. Friendship and planting a garden can both be considered as ď give and takeĒ. The more effort and persistence are put into them,the more everlasting happiness can be accomplished.
12. According to the first part of the passage, friendship_____
A. is the most valuable thing in life††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. makes our life worth living
C. will develop if you are successful in life†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. brings you experiences in life
13. Friendship mentioned in the passage is a relationship that
A. may not last
may last forever
†C. you should always take care of††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. you donít need to care for
14. To maintain frienship, one needs these qualities except
A. constancy††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. willingness†††††††††††††††††††††† C. impatience††††††††††††††††† D. devotion
15. Which of the following statements is NOT true
A. Building a friendship is compared to planting a garden
B. It takes time to establish a true friendship
C. Friendship lives by give Ė and- take
D. You cannot reestablish a friendship when it is on the verge of break- up
16. What is the purpose of the passage?
A. To explain what friendship is and how to maintain it
B. To show us how to make friends
C. To compare friendship building to gardening
D. To stop a garden from withering ††††††††††††
†††††††††††† Trust is perhaps the fourth quality. There must be mutual trust between _____(17), so that each can feel safe when telling the other his _____(18)her secrets. There are people _____(19)canít keep a secret, either of their own or of othersí. Such people will never keep a friend long.
†††††††††††† Lastly, there must be a_____(20)sympathy between friends Ė sympathy with each otherís aims, likes, joys, sorrows, pursuits and pleasures. Where such mutual sympathy does not _____(21), friendship is impossible.
17. A. friends†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. friendships††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. friendly†††††††††††††††††††††††† D. friendliness
18. ††††† A. and††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. so††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. or†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. but
19. ††††† A. who†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. which†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. whose††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. whom
20. ††††† A. changeable††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. perfect††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. interesting†††††††††††††††††††† D. mutual
21. ††††† A. exist††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. help††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. ask†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. speak†††††
VIII. Mistake Correction††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
17. Looking at her boyfriend, she smiled happy.†
† A††††††††††††† B††††††††††††††††††††† C††††††††††††††† D†
18. Computer is one of the most important invention in† this century.
††† A††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B††††††††††††††† C††† D
19. Unless you woke me up, I would have missed† the train.
† A††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B††††††††††††††††††† C†††††††††††††††† D
20. By the time everybody left the party, the fire has started.††††
†††††††† A†††††††††††††††††††††††††† B††††††††††††††††††††† C†††††††††††††† D†††††
B/ Tự Luận
1. By the time he arrived, his classmates ( leave )
2. I canít talk now. I† ( cook ) the dinner.
3. What you ( do) at this time yesterday?
were you doing______________________________________________________________________
4. Why didnít you listen to me while I (speak) to you?
5. This is the first time he (drive) this car.
6. I (study) Art when I was at primary school.
7. Can you give me a hand? - I (help) you.
8. When I (see) him yesterday, he was washing his car.
†††††††††† saw_________________________________________________________________________________ †††††††††††††††
1. Linda uses a computer to do that job nowadays.
A computer is used to do that job by Linda nowadays________________________________________
2. Look! Someone is feeding the seal
Look! The seal is being fed____________________________________________________________
3. Have they changed the window of the laboratory since last week?
Has the window of the laboratory been changed since last week?_______________________________
4. Will you invite her to your wedding party?
Will she be invited to your wedding party?________________________________________________
5. Nobody has treated me with such kindness.
I havenít been treated with such kindness_________________________________________________
III. If Clauses & Unless††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
1. If they were not† poor, they could stay at a luxury hotel
Unless they were poor, they could stay at a luxury hotel_______________________†††
2. Tom didnít have a tour because he didnít have enough time
Tom would/could have had a tour if he had had enough time__________________________________
has an important meeting, so he doesnít come to her party
If he didnít have an important meeting, he would/could come to her party_______________________
the weather hadnít been bad, we would have gone fishing yesterday afternoon.
Unless the weather had been bad, we would have gone fishing yesterday afternoon_________________
doesnít do his homework. Thatís why he is punished by his teacher.
If he did his homework, he wouldnít/couldnít be punished by his teacher_________________________
IV. Relative Clauses
1. We enjoy the city. It has been renewed a lot after the war.
We enjoy the city which has been renewed a lot after the war_______________________†††††††††
2. This is the story of an engineer. His wife suddenly loses the memory.
This is the story of an engineer whose wife suddenly loses the memory_______________††††††††††
3. We are speaking to the man. The man was our new history teacher.
We are speaking to the man who was our new history teacher_______________________††††††††
V.Because -> Because of &Although /though -> despite /in spite of ††††
couldnít win the prize although she was very intelligent.
†Despite (her) being very intelligent, she couldnít win the prize_________________________________
2. Because the traffic was heavy, she went to school late
Because of the heavy traffic, she went to school late_________________________________________
3. Because the weather is cold, I canít go out at night
Because of the cold weather, I canít go out at night__________________________________________
the mountain is high, they try to climb over it.
†In spite of the high mountain, they try to climb over it.______________________________________