PHẦN TRẮC NGHIỆM
I. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from the rest.
1. A. doctor B. top C. job D. more
2. A. sand B. sad C. want D. man
II. Complete the passage with the words provided.
As a brilliant and mature student, Marie harbored the dream of a scientific career. This was impossible for a women at that time. To save money for a study tour abroad, she had to work as a private tutor, and her studies were (3)_______ .
Finally in 1891, Marie, with very little money to live (4)_______ , went to Paris to realize her dream at the Sorbonne. (5)_______ her difficult living conditions, and she worked extremely hard. She earned a degree in flying colors, and went on to take another degree in Mathematics. She met Pierre Cutie in the School of Physics in 1894 and a year later they got married. From then on, they worked (6)_______ on their research. In 1903, Marie became the first woman to receive a PhD from the Sorbonne.
After the tragic death of Pierre Curie in 1960, she took up the position which her husband had obtained at the Sorbonne. Thus, she was the first woman in France to be a university professor. Soon after, she was (7)_______ a Nobel Prize in Chemistry for determining the atomic weight of radium. But her real joy was "easing human suffering".
3. A. interrupted B. determined C. awarded D. founded
4. A. in B. for C. at D. on
5. A. Despite B. Because of C. But D. During
6. A. others B. another C. together D. each other
7. A. subtracted B. harbored C. awarded D. realized
III. Choose the best option to complete each sentence below.
8. He drives very _____, so he had an accident last week.
A. dangerous B. danger C. dangerously D. endanger
9. The parents used to _____ that their children could not learn anything at all.
A. subtract B. believe C. oppose D. attend
10. Julia has been a nurse all her life. He has spent her life caring for _____.
A. rich B. the rich C. poor D. the poor
11. The parents realized that the young teacher was _____ great efforts to help their kids.
A. continuing B. putting C. opening D. making
12. She continued the _____ until the children realized they had just learn how to read and write.
A. demonstrative B. demonstrate C. demonstrator D. demonstration
13. Lindsay Lewis is _____ with four children and he went to Cambridge University in 1979.
A. marries B. marrying C. married D. marry
14. The parents are very proud _____ their children's efforts.
A. of B. about C. with D. to
15. During a math lesson, she raised both arms and opened _____ her fingers one by one.
A. up B. in C. out D. from
16. The _____ of the Radium Institute in 1914 made Marie Curie's humanitarian wish come true.
A. scientific career B. determination C. founding D. living condition
17. Because of the difficulty, Pham Thu Thuy has to teach her class _____.
A. difference B. differ C. different D. differently
18. Most of the children come from large and poor families, which prevents them from having _____ schooling.
A. disabled B. proper C. contented D. mental
IV. Choose the word that is stressed differently from the rest.
19. A. gradually B. continue C. consuming D. another
20. A. human B. receive C. woman D. color
V. Read the passage carefully then choose the best answer to the question or choose the best option to complete the statement below.
Twenty-five disabled children from large and poor families have the chance of learning how to read and write thanks to the effort of a young teacher, Pham Thu Thuy. Her idea, at first, met with opposition from the parents of the disabled children because they thought that their children could not learn anything, but gradually more children attended her class.
Watching Thuy taking a class, one can see how time-consuming the work is. However, she enjoys her teaching job very much and her class is different from other classes.
The teaching work in the special class is really difficult. For example, in a math lesson, the teacher has to use her arms and fingers to teach the children how to add and subtract. They have every reason to be happy with their efforts. They know a new world is opening up for them.
21. _____ have the
chance to learn how to read and write.
A. Poor and large families B. Large and poor families
C. 25 disabled children D. Twenty-five children’s parents
22. The parents of
the disabled children, at first, _____ with Pham Thu Thuy’s idea.
A. disagreed B. agreed C. were contented D. were pleased
23. How is Pham Thu Thuy’s teaching job? – It _____.
A. is time-consuming B. is disabled
C. is gradually harder D. is not special
24. The word “they” in line refers to _____.
A. the children B. the parents
C. the fingers D. the demonstrations
Which of the following is the best title for the passage?
A. A teacher in a special class B. A teacher with a lot of opposition
C. Special education in Vietnam D. A time-consuming teacher
PHẦN TỰ LUẬN
I. Give the correct tense of the verbs in the brackets.
1. What people (do) when the fire
What were people doing …?
2. The children (play) in the schoolyard
at the moment.
3. Where you (be) all day yesterday?
were you all day…?
4. Since Tom graduated from university,
he (work) for a foreign company.
has worked/ has been working
5. Someone (clean) the floor every day?
Does someone clean…?
6. This house (build) in 19990.
was built/ will be built
7. He (just finish) dinner when they
had just finished
II. Give the correct form of the verbs in the brackets.
1. The children are looking forward _____to having________ a picnic. (have)
2. Mary told me ______to send________ her some money last week. (send)
3. People should seriously _______obey_______ the traffic law. (obey)
4. When I came, she had finished _______writing_______ the report. (write)
III. Fill in each blank with the correct RELATIVE PRONOUNS.
1. Do you know the girl ______who/that________ is wearing a red hat?
2. That is the company in _____which_________ my father works.
3. I do not like houses ______whose________ windows are black.
4. Marie Curie harbored the dream of a scientific career, _______which_______ was impossible for a woman at that time.
IV. Combine the sentences by using relative pronouns.
1. After her husband died, she took up
the position. Her husband had obtained this position at the Sorbonne.
After …. the position which/that her husband had obtained at …
2. A doctor is someone. He works in a
A doctor is someone who works..
3. Did you choose the car? Its color is
Did you choose the car whose color is red?
Did you choose the car color of which is red?
4. I do not let my children play with
toys. They are made in China.
I do not….. toys which/that are made …
V. Rewrite the sentences as directed.
1. She enjoyed having lunch with steak.
She was interested in having lunch with steak
2. It takes her twenty minutes to
prepare breakfast for her family.
She spends twenty minutes preparing breakfast for her family.
3. Would you mind passing me the bottle
Would you please pass me the bottle of sugar?
4. I have difficulty speaking English
I cannot (can’t) speak English naturally.
VI. Rewrite the sentences by using the structure USED TO. The first one has been done for you.
0. Did you often play badminton when you
Did you use to play badminton when you were young?
1. Dennis often smoked 40 cigarettes a
Dennis used to smoke 40 cigarettes a day.
2. Did you often go to the theater when
you lived in London?
Did you use to go to the theater when you lived in London?
----- the end of the test -----