I. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from the rest:
1. A. polite††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. Literature†††††† C. guide†††††††††††††††† D. kind
2. A. great††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. teacher††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. street†††††††††††††††† D. receive
II. Choose the word that is stressed differently from the rest:
3. A. corner††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. communicate† C. harrow††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. children
4. A. Biology†††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. memory†††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. tobacco††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. computer
III. Choose the best option for each sentence:
5. We had a nice chat over a cup of tea.
A. a formal talk†††††††††††††† B. a long talk††††††† C. a serious talk†† D. an informal talk
6. He missed the bus because the alarm clock did not _____
A. go off†††††††††††††† †††††††††††† B. rings†††††††††††† ††††† C. went off††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. rang
7. They couldnít drive on that road because it was very _____.
A. broad††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. large †††††††††††††††† C. narrow†††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. wide
8. Physics is a very difficult _____ to study.
A. method ††††††††††††††††††††††† B. subject††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. content†††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. examination
9. She looked at the finished painting with ______.
A. satisfied††††††††††††††††††††††† B. satisfactory †††† C. satisfying††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. satisfaction
10. This is an _____ film.
A. interested††††† B. interest †††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. interesting†††††† D. interests
11. Let _____ do it by himself.
A. his†††††††††††††††††† B. he†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. him††††††††††††††††††† D. himself
12. I took _____ books by mistakes. I return them to you now.
A. yours†††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B.† your†††††††††††††††† C. yourself††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. you
13. ďWhose books are those?Ē ďThey are _____. I left them here yesterday.Ē
A. mine †††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. my ††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. me†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. myself
14. Iíve attended the English class _____ 12 June.
A. in††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. on †††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C. since††††††††††††††††† D. for
15. They have never satisfied _____ what they have.
A. about††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. for††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C.with †††††††††††††††††† D. from
IV. Read the passage carefully then choose the best answer to complete the blanks :
I drink several cups of tea, have a (16) ____ breakfast and then lead the buffalo to the field. It (17) ___ me 45 minutes to get ready. I leave the house at a quarter past five and (18) ___ in the field at exactly 5:30. I (19) ___ and harrow my plot of land and at a quarter to eight I take a short rest, during my break I often drink tea with my fellow (20) ____ and smoke local tobacco.
16. A. big ††††††††††††††††† B. quick†††††††††††††††† C. thick††††††††††††††††† D. sick
17. A. spends††††††††††† B. takes†††††††††††††††† C. makes†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. costs
18. A. come††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† B. go†††††††††††††††††††††† C. arrive†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† D. leave
19. A. plough†††††††††† B. harrow††††††††††††† C. do††††††††††††††††††††† D. make
20. A. students†††††††† B. children†††††††††††† C. peasants†††††††††† D. wife
V. Read the passage and answer the questions below :
Many people now think that teachers give students too much homework. They say that it is unnecessary for children to work at home in their free time. Moreover, they argue that most teachers do not properly plan the homework tasks they give to students. The result is that students have to repeat tasks which they have already done at school.
Most people agree that homework is unfair. A student who can do his homework in a quiet and comfortable room is in much better portion than a student who does his homework in a small, noisy room with the television on. Some parents help their children with their homework. Other parents take no interest at all in their children's homework.
It is important, however, that teachers talk to parents about homework. A teacher should suggest suitable tasks for parents to do with their children. Parents are often better at teaching their own children!
21. †According to the writer,____________________
A. many parents would like their children to have less homework.
B. homework is unnecessary for children.
C. parents think that students should have to do a lot of work in their leisure time.
D. teachers used to give their students less homework than they do now.
22. †According to many parents,_______________________________
A. most homework is different from the work the students have done in class.
B. their children have to plan the homework tasks.
C. a lot of homework has not been planned properly.
D. all teachers give homework that have already done at school.
23. †Only a small number of people____________________________
A. cannot help their children with their homework.
B. take interest in their childrenís homework.
C. agree that homework is unnecessary.
D. think that homework is fair.
24. †According to the passage, teachers should____________________
A. advise parents about how to work together with their children at home.
B. plan the homework tasks more carefully.
C. allow students to stay at school to do their homework.
D. not give their students too much homework.
25. †Which of the following sentences is not mentioned in the passage?
A. Students sometimes have to repeat the homework tasks that they have already done in class.
B. Some parents wanted to stop homework.
C. Some parents donít help their children with their homework.
D. many teachers think that students should have homework.
B. PHẦN TỰ LUẬN
I. Give the correct TENSE of the verbs in the brackets (Rewrite the whole sentence)
1. When I left the house, they (not, eat) breakfast yet.
2. She (work) very hard in the last few years.
3. Mary (not, like) going to the museum on Sundays.
4. Nothing (be) done since I moved here.
5. At the beginning of September, they (have) a meeting at their new school.
6. There (be) no money in the old times.
7. My uncle (live) in this city for six months now.
HAS LIVED / HAS BEEN LIVING
8. We will wait for you till you (come) tomorrow.
9. What (you, do) between 6 pm and 8 pm on 2nd August?
WERE YOU DOING
10. They (lose) the game since the last 20 minutes.
II. Put the ADVERB OF FREQUENCY into the correct place:
1. Monika canít go swimming in the afternoon. ( always )
Monika canít ALWAYS go swimming in the afternoon.
2. My mother dislikes going to the library although she accompanies us. (usually)
My mother dislikes going to the library although she USUALLY accompanies us.
3. He takes a taxi to work, but he does today because he woke up late. (rarely)
He RARELY takes a taxi to work, but he does today because he woke up late.
III. Make Wh- question for the underlined words :
1. It takes me about 2 hours to get there.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE YOU TO GET THERE?
2. Mr. Robins came to the party alone.
WHO CAME TO THE PARTY ALONE?
3. We have an English class every day.
HOW OFTEN DO WE / YOU HAVE AN ENGLISH CLASS?
4. I didnít get up early because the alarm didnít ring.
WHY DIDNíT YOU GET UP EARLY?
5. She washes her face every morning.
WHAT DOES SHE DO EVERY MORNING?
IV. Combine the two sentences, using relative pronouns:
1. My youngest sister has just been back from the US. I showed you her photo last week.
My youngest sister whose photo I showed you last week has just been back from the US.
2. The man lives next door. Do you know him ?
Do you know the man who lives next door?
V. Change the following sentences into passive form
1. They made the vase by hand 20 years ago.
The vase was made by hand 20 years ago.
2. The pupils found the exam difficult.
The exam was found difficult (by the pupils)
3. The students are carefully writing the lessons.
The lessons are carefully being written (by the students)
4. I have just bought a new schoolbag.
A new schoolbag has just been bought.
5. The organizers will exhibit the paintings next week.
The paintings will be exhibited (by the organizers) next week.
----- THE END OF THE TEST -----